Re: ASA Perspective

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 07:55:32 EST

            Veron raises a valid question here: If we take the idea of original sin
    seriously, how can we trust our reasoning about the world that leads to
    conclusions such as evolutionary theory, the age of the earth, &c? But as an
    objection to those conclusions, the argument won't hold up.
            First, original sin has to do primarily with our relationship with God -
    we are unable to have "true fear of God and true faith in God." Of course that
    has implications for the way we deal with other people and the natural world as
    well. But even those who have held a very tough view of original sin have not
    denied that the natural human being is capable of understanding the 10
    Commandments as civil law, and are able to refrain from murder, adultery, &c.
    I.e., even fallen humanity is capable of functioning in the world - & this
    requires some understanding of the world.
            Secondly, no one raises the original sin objection to the results of
    science when they're not being related to issues of origins or age of the earth.
    When nuclear physicists measure decay rates of some isotopes carefully & say that
    half a sample _would_ decay in 4.5 x 10^9 yr or whatever, nobody says "But
    original sin is distorting your reason so we can't trust that result." It's then
    incumbent on the person raising this objection to the age of the earth to say at
    just what stage of applications of scientific results to radioactive dating
    original sin introduces an error.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy