ID in Ohio, proposed changes to curriculum

From: R. Joel Duff (rjduff@uakron.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 14:02:43 EST

    Hi
    I did attend the event in Cleveland though I don't have time for a full
    report at this time. What I would be interested in is some advice for how
    to deal with the currently proposed curriculum changes. I am in the
    position to make are real contribution to the final wording of the Ohio
    standards. I would like to post a few of the proposed changes here for
    discussion and refer you to the full list that can be found on-line at:
    http://www.sciohio.org/start.htm

    This coming Monday and Tuesday there will be some dialogue in Columbus on
    Monday between Miller/Kraus and Wells/Meyer. From hearing Miller/Kraus last
    Saturday and knowing how Wells/Meyer represent themselves, I suspect there
    will be much more heat than light at this confrontation. I won't be able to
    attend but I know several that will be there.

    Thanks,
    Joel

    Below are some of the proposed amendments to the current curriculum for
    those that have not seen them (I've only picked out some of the more
    controversial ones, see the web site for the entire list):

    ___________________________

    Current draft indicator. Grade 10, Life Sciences #21, page 66. Know how life
    on earth is thought to have begun as simple, one-celled organisms about 4
    billion years ago. During most of the history of the earth, only
    single-celled micro-organisms existed, but once cells with nuclei developed
    about a billion years ago, increasingly complex multicellular organisms
    evolved.

    Modified indicator. Know that according to evolutionary theory, life on
    earth is thought to have begun as simple, one-celled organisms shortly after
    the time when the earth first became habitable. During most of the history
    of the earth, only single-celled micro-organisms existed, but once cells
    with nuclei developed, increasingly complex multicellular organisms
    developed. Know that evolutionary biology, as a historical science, forms a
    tentative reconstruction of events and processes that have already taken
    place.

    _________________________

    Current draft indicator. Grade 10, Life Sciences #22, page 66. Know
    historical scientific developments occurred in evolutionary thought (e.g.,
    Darwin, Mendel, Lamarck).

    Modified indicator. Know historical scientific developments that occurred in
    evolutionary thought, including alternative theories that have been
    considered (e.g., Paley, Darwin, Lamarck, Mendel, Behe).

    ________________________

    Current draft indicator. Grade 10, Life Sciences #24, page 66. Understand
    that natural selection provides the following mechanism for evolution: some
    variation in heritable characteristics exists within every species, some of
    these characteristics give individuals an advantage over others in surviving
    and reproducing, and the advantaged offspring, in turn, are more likely than
    others to survive and reproduce. The proportion of individuals that have
    advantageous characteristics will increase.

    Notes. Again no modification is suggested, since this basically describes
    microevolution. None of the original indicators states the Darwinian
    argument that natural selection over long periods time results in
    macroevolution.

    New indicator. Grade 10, Life Sciences (insert after #24, page 66). Know
    that some scientists support the theory of intelligent design, which
    postulates that the influence of some form of intelligence is a viable
    alternative explanation for both the origin and diversity of life. Compare
    and contrast the evidence that supports the design hypothesis with the
    evidence that supports the evolutionary hypothesis.