Re: Gen 1 and Concordism

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 00:40:59 EST

    Howard wrote,

    << From: Peter Ruest <pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch>

    > Perhaps we should reconsider what divine inspiration really
    > means.

     That would be an interesting thing to do. Vastly differing theories
     regarding the character and appropriate use of the biblical text lurk
     beneath the surface of many of the disagreements on this list. >>

    Yes. Both concordists and creation science followers, as well as most
    Evangelical para-church organizations, and, of course, a multitude of
    "conservative" Churchs are committed to the doctrine that the International
    Council on Biblical Inerrancy set forth in the 80's (though not new with
    them). This includes Article XII:

    "We affirm that Scripture in its entirety is inerrant, being free from all
    falsehood, fraud, or deceit. We deny that Biblical infallibility and
    inerrancy are limited to spiritual, religious, or redemptive themes,
    exclusive of assertions in the fields of history and science. We further deny
    that scientific hypotheses about earth history may properly be used to
    overturn the teaching of Scripture on creation and the flood."

    This is the heart of the Hydra.

    Where does the Bible teach that divine inspiration guarantees the inerrancy
    of bibical history and science? I say it is a human tradition, not a biblical
    teaching. Let whoever will, show us from Scripture that this doctrine is
    really biblical.

    Paul