Re: Email Volume/Relevance

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 14:59:01 EST

    I probably didn't write clearly enough in my original post. I heartily agree that we should not be dominated by creation/evolution discussion, and welcome other areas where science and faith intersect, such as the ones Lucy mentioned.

    With regard to the recent "compassion" discussion, I agree that discussion of how we use our science and technology to help the people for whom God calls us to show compassion is important and in bounds. But, after the first few rounds, this particular discussion migrated into political and philosophical arguments with zero science content. It was at that point that I felt it had strayed from the purposes of this list [the degree to which people were insulting each other didn't help]. Your mileage may vary.

    I'm just asking that people consider the purposes of the list (however they may interpret them) in deciding whether to carry a discussion in a new direction. You may not make the same call I would, but if everybody will at least consider that question before posting it may help the volume problems.

    Allan