[Fwd: RE: Darwinism/Compassion]

From: Lucy Masters (masters@cox-internet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 18:49:44 EST

    Adrian: I love your email system and wish I could "do" colors the way
    you do. But I can't (to differentiate my responses), so I'll have to
    just bundle everything up here.

    (1) I don't have a problem arguing that human death is **NOT** evil.
     Ask some of our patients who are stuck in hospital beds in severe pain
    or stuck in wheelchairs paralyzed from the neck down - sometimes even
    worse than that. To them, death would be the greatest of God's blessings.
    (2) Unfortunately, death rates do not go up as populations expand.
     This is how we ended up with 6.5 billion people on the planet.
    (3) Yes..we can and did predict outcomes. The United Nations is chock
    full of thousands of reports from numerous scientific sources
    foretelling the population disaster we would create if we began feeding
    programs in third world countries **in the absence of a quid pro quo.**
     That is to say, in the absence of birth control. We (scientists) also
    predicted the crisis that would be brought on by the mass utilization of
    antibiotics, the building of the Aswan High Dam, and any number of other
    interventions designed to respond to an "immediate" need.
    (4) "Non-intervention in the face of reason" is exactly what I'm
    talking about. In the name of God, Christianity, kindness, and so on,
    we intervene in situations with predictable crisis-level outcomes. Now
    why would we knowingly create hell on earth in the name of God?

    Lucy