[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Darwinism/Compassion]]

From: Lucy Masters (masters@cox-internet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 18:37:36 EST

    Jan: In reference to your posting at the end...

    The homeless are an interesting lot. I "work" with them in two ways.
     First, I help run a food pantry that feeds many of these people in our
    town. I can assure you that feeding them does **NOT** get them to work
    or get them into family homes. Nor have I seen any evidence whatsoever
    that feeding them in any way increases their likelihood of becoming more
    responsible. Second, my husband and I both run a private practice in
    clinical psychology. Often throughout the year the police will bring
    "street people" to us for evaluation. As unpopular as it is to say in
    America today, it is very definitely my opinion, based upon discussions
    **with the homeless people** that they prefer to NOT be in shelters or
    family homes. You may not like that, you may even dispute that, but my
    suggestion is if you really have a problem with homelessness, you might
    want to dedicate your next two-week vacation to actually living on the
    streets with these people. Ask them...don't ask me. Ask them while you
    are getting to know them if they want shelters and family homes. You
    may be surprised by the answer.

    Lucy