RE: Darwinism/Compassion

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 12:58:45 EST

    Lucy,

    I think that your conclusions are derived from an approach to making ethical
    decisions called consequentialism. In this view, we allow the consequence to
    determine the morality of the act, and therefore, we do some sort of
    cost/benefit analysis. But how can one ever measure the worth of a human
    life, no matter how wretched the conditions of living are? I would argue
    instead that the end (consequence) does not justify the means (the act). The
    moral status of the act has to be assessed independent of intention and
    consequences. In Romans chapter 3, Paul specifically condemned those who
    argued for doing evil so that good may come out of it. Consequentialism is a
    dangerous approach, and can potentially be used to justify unspeakable acts
    of horror.

    Please consider my humble opinion.

    Adrian.