Doubt and Mr Boyle

From: Ted Davis (tdavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 09:57:43 EST

    I use the following private thought of Robert Boyle with my students, to
    encourage them to question their faith in an appropriate, faith-affirming
    attitude:

    He whose Faith never doubted, may justly doubt of his Faith.

            -- Robert Boyle, `Diurnall Observations, Thoughts, & Collections',
    1647. (BP 44, fol. 95)

    Here BP= Boyle Papers, Royal Society, vol. 44

    It's my very favorite Boyle quote--though I admit in general that he's not
    very quotable!

    Ted Davis