Re: Do animals ever "sin" (was something else)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 08:37:52 EST

    Woodward Norm Civ WRALC/TIEDM wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > As I have already pointed out, there are other things to be saved
    > from
    > besides sin.
    >
    > <snip>
    > Shalom,
    >
    > George
    >
    > George L. Murphy
    > http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/
    > "The Science-Theology Interface"
    > Perhaps, in everyway, everyday, we rely on God's loving kindness.
    > But, as we were talking about Christ on the cross...
    > Why else did He die besides to save us from eternal consequences from our
    > sins?
    > And if one never sinned, why else would Christ die for her/him/it?

            Why can't you simply admit that Col.1:20, Eph.1:10 & Rom.8:18-25 do
    say what they say, that Is.11:6-9 does use the imagery (N.B.) of God's future
    involving non-human animals - & THEN
    add that there's a great deal we don't know about the whys & hows of all
    this?
            I don't think it terribly helpful to speculate about "dog heaven" &c,
    but it's even less helpful - & frankly just wrong - to suggest that human
    beings are the only part of nature that God finally cares about.
            Theologians for the past 2000 years have discussed various theories
    or models of the Atonement - i.e., how & why Christ's Incarnation, life,
    death & resurrection are effective in bringing about human salvation. There
    is no single model which has been made dogmatically binding. But that
    Christ's Incarnation, life, death & resurrection _are_ effective in bringing
    about human salvation is at the heart of Christian faith. Far less do we
    have any definitive model of the salvation of the rest of creation, _ta
    panta_ - but the texts I've noted & I think the whole thrust of the biblical
    story point in that direction.