Re: YEC and loss of faith

From: Darryl Maddox (dpmaddox@arn.net)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 23:39:17 EST

    A similar but slightly different story.

    Field trip to a roadcut which exposes a sand/blackshale/sand with marine
    fossils/pure white sand sequence from bottom to top. The basal sand has a
    few dinosaur bones in it within a few miles of here, the shale has lots of
    pelecypods, a few small ammonites and other stuff in it including an
    ocassional shark took. The overlying sand that alos contains marine fossils
    has a few sharks teeth in it also. This entire sequence is on the edge of a
    mesa and looking away from the high side of the road cut you look out over
    10s of miles of river valley some 300 feet below.

    The teacher said the black shale was deposited in a shallow bay in a
    re-entrant from the open sea and that the overlying sand marked a beach
    sequence etc. One student said they didn't believe there had ever been a
    bay or lagoon there much less one that opened into an open ocean. I realize
    this is the opposite view commonly expressed by those who doubt geologist
    but I think you will get the point of the story.

    The teacher then replied: "Well if you don't believe my interpretation then
    it looks to me like you re left with one of the following: Sharks lived on
    land or I came out here and buried all these fossils to fool you. Now
    unless you have yet another explanation for what we are looking at I ask:
    "which of those 2 explanations would you like to defend?

    The way I heard the story from the teacher many years later the student
    offered no alternative theory.

    I will close with a paraphrase "Nothing is as hard on a bad geological
    theory as a good outcrop". To which I will add, "or a good lab experiment".

    Darryl