Re: How to discuss evolution with friends. WAs RE: YEC and loss of faith:

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 20:28:03 EST

    At 11:36 AM 12/02/02 -0500, Moorad Alexanian wrote:
    >If you want to give a dollar to someone who has a dime in his/her hand,
    >please do not take the dime away from them. Just as we witness our
    >Christian faith to others but let the Holy Spirit convict them at their
    >proper time, then we must not try to say to YEC that they are absolutely
    >wrong but educate them in the indisputable findings of science. [What is
    >indisputable findings? Is the Big Bang an indisputable fact?] I, for one,
    >would not say that YEC is a totally illogical position. One really does not
    >know how God brought the whole thing into existence. I know some will
    >indicate that if YEC is true then God is deceiving or misleading us in the
    >process of doing our science. That is a problem for God to figure out not
    >me. I do realize the importance of having our Christian youth know enough
    >science so that when they go to high school or college they are not shocked
    >and become easy pray for scientism or materialism.
    >
    >Moorad

    I agree that we must discuss the exegesis problems the YEC position has. I
    tried to do so several times, but so far I have not had the beginning of an
    answer. Apart from being scientifically wrong, I think that it is more
    serious and more damaging, that they are exegetically and biblically
    incorrect. That is more damaging to readers, students, congregations, than
    being wrong in explaining scientific theories.

    Jan de K.