How to discuss evolution with friends. WAs RE: YEC and loss of faith:

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 11:10:53 EST

     Hullo List,
    In my opinion, the constant proprogation of YEC views as THE only true
    interpretation of Genesis can lead to a loss of faith, as it almost did in
    my life when I confronted the evidence for evolution. Evolution may not be
    the perfect scientific explanation for the diversity and elaboration of
    life, but it is better than OEC and incomparably better than YEC, which has
    been completely falsified scientifically.
    The next question for me is how I explain this to my YEC friends. I go to a
    conservative evangelical church, and most folk there appear to be YEC. In
    fact, the church puts out a tract attacking evolution as ungodly. When I
    mentioned that I beleived in evolution, I was challenged on this. One of my
    friends even wants the church to bring Answers in Genesis(GROAN) to town for
    an evolution/creation debate!
    My position is not helped by Dawkins & Provine, with their proof of
    evolution = atheism formulas.
    Its enough to make you wish for the simple life of an atheist!
    Seriously though, I would like some guidance on how to deal with evolution
    when the topic comes up with my YEC friends.

    regards,