Re: Glenn makes front page of AiG today

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 16:34:34 EST

    Hi Glenn

    Belief in a global flood does not make someone a young earther, at least not before
    the 19th century. We can say they were erroneous in their belief, and point out how
    this was erroneous in the light of contemporary knowledge (especially after the
    1840's) or even present day knowledge. But we should not equate belief in global
    dilluvialism with belief in a young earth.

    As I said before almost all geological literate Christians, amny in positions of
    leadership in the 19th century believed in an old earth. Clearly there were some
    people on the fringes who did not. The big questions is why lay evangelicals seem to
    have listened more to such people than their leaders.

    The position today is slightly different. Today almost all geological literate
    evangelicals support an old earth, just as they did in the 19th century. However
    many evangelicals in leadership are sympathetic to a young earth (I am reading
    MacArthur's book at the moment - shudder). We need to consider why people such as
    Conybeare, Buckland, Miller, Fleming, Sedgwick, Henslow, Silliman, Dawson, Clarke,
    and Edgeworth David (to name a few) were unable to convince lay people of their day.
    Perhaps we might gain further insight into why the current generation of lay
    Christians - and John MacArthurs and Francis Scahffers - are not convinced by van
    Till, Young, Schrimmich, Davis, Roberts (or even Morton or Clarke).

    Jon