RE: New Guinea tsunami information.

From: Joel Z. Bandstra (bandstra@ese.ogi.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 20:08:46 EST

    In the post below, Glen wrote: "An onshore landslide simply mixes things
    up with little sorting."

    I don't think this is correct. See R.M. Iverson, The physics of debris
    flows, Rev. Geophys. v35 pp245-296 August 1997. This is not my field so
    I'm sure there is a better reference but this one should suffice.

    The observation, as I understand it, is that coarser grained material
    sorts to the edges of both landside and debris flow runouts. I guess it
    probably works just like the big nuts in the mixed nuts can floating to
    the top.