Re: Glenn makes front page of AiG today

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 15:44:22 EST

    I think Glenn makes a very important point here. YEC ideas were held by only a
    minority of evangelical leaders in the 19th and early 20th century. Indeed, the
    were prominent only in the Missouri Synod Lutherans and SDAs. However there is
    the grass roots support, which has so far been poorly documented. One of the
    paradoxes of popular opinion in the 19th and early 20th century is that ordinary
    mainstream evangelicals did not listen to their theologians and scientists in
    this area. I think what needs to be done is to explore the sources of
    information at the popular level. Popular Christian magazines, Sunday School
    materials, etc. will provide a rich lode to mine. Michael has done some of this
    for Anglicans in the UK in the 1st half of the 18th century, but we need more of
    this across the denominational spectrum in in more counties, and for more eras.