RE: New Guinea tsunami information.

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 11:15:41 EST

    Hi Allen,

    This is not surprising at all and this mud layer has no analogy with what
    is seen in the Haymond.

    First, a look at the picture shows that the vast majority of the area is not
    covered by the mud. In the Haymond and other turbidites, the shale is thick
    and widespread.

    SEcondly, any tsunami water trapped in a puddle on top of the sand will
    contain some shale. The water will flow through the porous sand, filtering
    the shale out and leaving it on the surface of the sand. This is why the
    shale doesn't cover the entire deposit.

    Thirdly, this is a tsunami deposit which is above sea level which allows the
    shale-containing water to flow down through the porous sand as noted above.
    Below sea level, this won't happen. The water will not flow through the sand
    like it does on land.

    So, this has nothing to do with a turbidite.

    personal stories of struggle