Re: Glenn makes front page of AiG today

From: Darryl Maddox (dpmaddox@arn.net)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 20:13:58 EST

    Ah come on Allen, just because I haven't written anything stupid (or
    anything intelligent for that matter) for to the group for a while doesn't
    mean I was in the woodwork. :-) But it was a good line anyway. Actually I
    have been in the lab and in the field just about every spare minute.

    The article by Howe did not address Glenn's question but surely somewhere in
    all the CRSQ articles he referenced someone looked at them. I'll get copies
    through inter-library loan and see what I can find. It will take a few days
    to weeks but now I am curious.

    I conceede your point on the clay at the top of a turbidite settling in a
    short time (minutes, hours or days depending on the size of the turbidite).
    It was a good point you made about that clay not having to settle out of the
    full water column but only out of the portion immediately above the sand.
    Despite my own observations of turbidites (micro) forming in the bottom of
    buckets of fine silt (whatever will pass through a 230 mesh screen) from
    which I pour the water to expedite the drying of the silt, it had not gotten
    through my thick head that in only a few minutes after the water stopped
    moving the stuff had all settled back to the bottom. ON the other hand, how
    often is water in nature truely not moving? Hmmmm.

    I also agree that my comments about the swamps etc were inappropriate to
    your discussion of the turbidite clays as long as there is no clay other
    than that from the original turbidite stuff or clay that was eroded and
    mixed in with the turbidite as it moved down slope involved.

    Could you provide a reference on that tsunami study. That sounds like one I
    should have in my library of articles.

     I remember your experiments on the clay/silt slurries. Now if I could just
    convince myself that all the formations in the world which consist of
    several thousand feet of interbedded clays and silts were really steep slope
    turbidite or near shore tsunami deposits I would conseed that argument also,
    but I can't. The evidense just isn't there for the formations I have seen
    personally.

    Darryl