Re: Glenn makes front page of AiG today

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 15:08:04 EST

    "Mythological Naturalism" contra "Mythological Creationism"?

    We all accept that God created the world, else we would not be members of
    an organization which has as magazine "Perspectives on Science and
    Christian Faith." I read much about geology here, and will leave answering
    that to geologists, but I cannot understand how anyone can read the first
    eleven chapters of Genesis in a modern, literal, "scientific" way. It does
    not fit. People who were living 4000 years ago would not have understood
    if they had to listen to all the technical details we have now. Even our
    forefathers a couple of hundred years ago would not have understood
    it. Our Lord talked to us in a way they and we could understand. So
    reading Genesis as if it tells modern 21st century Christians exactly what
    happened scientifically does not make sense at all. Even the measurements
    cannot have been exactly as reported in the books of Moses. Try to figure
    out how the number of soldiers could march around the city of Jericho of
    which the measurements are known from excavations.
    But God did not talk to people in a language they could not
    understand. And "Science" is only an invention of recent times. It is not
    a myth that God created. Still, our language, our civilization, our
    "exactitude" is only a recent development.

    Jan de K.