Re: Mortenson, etc

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 11:54:35 EST

    Excellent comment from Ted. Too my shame I have hardly read any Silliman but
    I have a copy of Hitchcock "Religion of Geology" which Ted has got on line.

    Hitchcock's book was published in 1851 and has a freshness which jumps the
    160 years and feels up to date. It is one of those books which I can read
    both historically and spiritually and though I do not dot his "i"s or cross
    his "t"s it is very helpful in helping one/me to see the relationship of
    geology and christianity. Most of his approach stands the test of time -
    unless you are a nit-picker.

    Another useful book is John Pye Smith "The relation of the Holy Scriptues
    and some parts of geological science" 1839 and later editions. I dont agree
    with his interpretation of Genesis but I can see why he held it. There is
    much excellent stuff in it and his grasp of geology is absolutely excellent
    and I have used it as a source book for geology in 1840 because in other
    places I have found it so good. He is good on miracles and death before the
    fall.

    Lastly I also recommend people use Ramm's book. It was written in 1955 and
    is remarkably good and has weathered well. It is usually worth referring to
    and I do several times a year.

    Michael