Mortenson, etc

From: Ted Davis (tdavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 08:53:46 EST

    IMO, Mortenson's webpage is likely to convince his primary audience--home
    schoolers, members of fundamentalist churches, and many Christian school
    teachers and administrators--that anything other than a YEC position is
    simply unacceptable biblically, *and* wrong scientifically as well. The
    scriptural geologists were largely irrelevant after about 1830, but their
    ideas didn't really disappear entirely. As many have noted, the emerging
    professional geologists of that period, many of whom were Christian
    believers with a high view of biblical authority, simply could not accept a
    young earth position, and came increasingly after 1830 also to reject the
    view that Noah's flood had significantly altered the surface of the earth.

    Some of the arguments used by two leading American evangelicals, Benjamin
    Silliman of Yale (the greatest science teacher of the century) and Edward
    Hitchcock of Amherst (the leading American geologist prior to the Civil
    War), are found in writings I have made available at the following URL:
    http://www.messiah.edu/HPAGES/FACSTAFF/TDAVIS/texts.htm

    The main reason I began to develop this URL a couple of years ago (the
    progress is slow, I could use help) is, that I hope to make available many
    similar texts, as a way of witnessing to the church today about the kind of
    conversation, involving very deep and careful thinking about the biblical
    and scientific issues, that has taken place in the past. In other words, to
    help recover the "noble tradition" of science and faith of the 19th century,
    whose passing was lamented nearly 50 years ago by the late Bernard Ramm.
    Like Mortenson, I believe that history is too important to be left to the
    historians; unlike Mortenson, I hold (with Calvin, Augustine, Silliman, and
    Hitchcock) that the Bible is not a scientific text: as Calvin said
    concerning Genesis, let him who would learn astronomy and other recondite
    arts, go elsewhere. Also unlike Mortenson--or at least like many of those
    with similar ideas--I am not in the business of demonizing those whose views
    on this are different from mine.

    Ted Davis