RE: Do animals ever "sin" (was something else)

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 22:51:16 EST

    Jan,

    If, as you claim, the issue is really one of interpretation, then whose
    should I trust? I am not a bible scholar and don't know Greek nor Hebrew.
    Should I trust the scholars you cited, or should I trust other translators?
    And even if I were a scholar, I have no assurance that I am correct in my
    interpretation without seeking the counsel of the Christian consensus in
    history, especially those who lived closer in time to the original writers
    and may have had access to resources that are now lost. If I understand your
    view correctly, then each individual become the final arbiter of truth for
    himself/herself.

    The criticism of dualism is directed toward a Platonic understanding of the
    material and the spiritual world. This is certainly NOT the only Greek
    philosophy around. To simply say that one must reject a certain
    interpretation becasue of Greek influence does not make much sense, since
    there is such a diversity of Greek philosophies.

    Furthermore, the Thomistic understanding of dualism is significantly, but
    perhaps, subtly different from that of Aristotle, even though both agreed
    that the soul is the form of the body. The soul is distinct from the body,
    but the human person is neither just soul nor just body, but a marriage of
    both.

    Let me end with a couple of questions for you. What happened when Jesus
    died? Did He cease to be a human person for the period until the day of His
    resurrection?