Re: Do animals ever "sin" (was something else)

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 22:39:02 EST

    At 06:57 PM 06/02/02 -0600, TT Vandergraaf wrote:
    >Jan,
    >
    >I may have remembered the statement correctly but may (inadvertently and
    >incorrectly) have attributed it to a "Dooyeweerdian." At Calvin College,
    >I took a course from H. Evan Runner but I can't recall if he was a
    >Dooyeweerdian or a Vollenhovenian

    Vollenhovian

    >OK, so you say that most difficulties will disappear if we translate,
    >whatever was translated as "soul," to "living being" or "becoming
    >alive." Then, how does one read Rev 6:9-10 (NIV) "When he opened the
    >fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain
    >because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They
    >called out in a loud voice, "How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true,
    >until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?"

    Rev.6:9-10 refers back to the offers in the OT. In Lev. 17:6 the blood of
    animals had to be thrown against the altar. The passage is further
    important as it says that shedding blood of animals in the wrong place
    should result in the person doing it to be cut off from his people. See
    also verse 11of same chapter. Verse 12 even says in the KJV "No soul of
    you shall eat blood." Verse 4 is interesting as well. In one of the
    older translations it says as well, that blood has to be sprinkled against
    the altar, because "blood that is the soul" . I cannot find it at this
    late hour and do not remember if it is the KJV or the Dutch
    Statenvertaling. The blood and the altar belong together in the OT
    sacrifice, just as the blood of Jesus is important for our salvation. So,
    the people that are killed in persecutions are sacrifices as well. Their
    blood points to the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross like the blood of bulls
    did in the OT.

    Please, be not too critical. This is written down after a church meeting
    and before going to bed. My wife is already making noise, and i have to be
    out of bed early.

    Jan de K.