Re: Bare Naked Noah

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 18:30:51 EST

    Dick Fischer wrote: "Bible scholars have wondered at this prophetic
    judgment directed at Noah’s grandson weighed against the apparent
    insignificance of the offense. Why was Noah angered at his son seeing
    him naked and telling his brothers? "

    According to the book, THE BIBLE AND HOMOSEXUAL PRACTICE, by Robert
    Gagnon, 2001, who appears to be a responsible scholar, the text uses
    oblique language to refer to what was almost certainly a case of the son
    raping Noah. Gagnon makes many references to the surrounding cultures and
    how they viewed male-male sexual contacts.

    Gagnon comes out with a different position on the gay issue than I do --
    but his arguments are both interesting and need to be dealt with. In the
    case above, I am personally persuaded he has made an excellent argument
    for his analysis.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)