Re: The Star-Trek effect

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 08:23:27 EST

    Wiiliam Whewell was a leading intellectual at Cambridge in the early
    19century and gave us the term scientist. He also critiqued Lyell in 1830
    and gave him the terms Eocine Miocene and Pliocene for the Tertiary. He was
    a devout Christian of evangelical leanings and is only now getting the
    recognition he deserves. He was at school at Lancaster Grammar School (6
    miles from where I live) with Richard Owen of dinosaurs. The two had a fight
    at school and one sufferd a broken nose and I hope it was Owen!!

     I am currently reading a book for a book review (this will not be the book
    review) but it has application to the current discussion we are having about
    why apologists seem to pick and choose what observational data they will
    deal with and what data they refuse to accept. THIS IS A SERIOUS CHARGE The
    book is William
    Whewell's _Of the Plurality of Worlds_ edited by Michael Ruse, University of
    Chicago Press 2001. The book was originally published in 1853 and this is a
    facsimile reprinting. I need to set the intellectual landscape for this
    argument.

    Whewell was writing about 9 years after Chambers' _Vestiges_ which was the
    first book to really bring evolution into the intellectual landscape (it was
    very poorly done so he won few converts). The issue which occupied Whewell's
    attention was the problem that astronomy was presenting to Christians at
    this time by showing that there were so many worlds. The atheistic argument
    WHO PUT FORWARD THIS ATHEISTIC ARGUMENT? CHAMBERS WAS NO ATHEIST BUT A WOOLY
    LIBERAL ANGLICAN OF DEISTIC TENDENCIES. HE MOST CLEARLY BELIEVED IN SOME
    DIVINE POWER
    of the day pointed out that there were lots of stars each of them should
    have planets around them, many of those planets filled with intelligent
    life.

    Whewell in 1833 had agreed that life on other planets was
    probable, but after the Vestiges was published, it became perfectly clear
    that life on these other planets might be evolved and Whewell changed his
    position because he could not reconcile evolution with Christian faith.
    Furthermore, the atheistic argument WHO BY? pointed out that each of those
    planets
    with intelligent life would need their own savior and therefore God would
    not see the earth as a special abode or be 'mindful of man'. Why would a God
    of a universe full of intelligent life pay any special heed to a small blue
    planet circling an otherwise unremarkable star? Whewell chose to take on
    this argument in a very fascinating book. While Whewell seems to be correct
    that life is rare in the universe, his approach to it was unfortunately
    typical of the way apologetical institutions seem to deal with problematical
    issues. Looking back on his argument gives us perspective on this approach
    and lets us see clearly what RTB and other apologists are doing with
    anthropological and evolutionary data clearer. I THINK HERE YOU FAIL
    COMPLETELY TO JUDGE WHEWELL BY THE TERMS OF 1850, IF SO YOU WOULD LIKEN HIM
    TO POLKINGHORNE AT NOT RTB

    Whewell then attacks the concept of life on planets around the nebula (what
    we call galaxies) by denying that they are really galaxies or separate star
    systems. He did discuss some very good evidence indicating the modern view
    was correct. however, he chose to reject that data. Instead of the points of
    light telescopes reveal in the galaxies being stars, Whewell claims that
    they are comets around a much smaller object.WHAT WAS THE VIEW OF
    CONTEMPRARY ASTRONOMERS? GEORGE MURPHY HAS ANSWERED THIS

    "And if we suppose a large mass of cometic matter thus to move in a highly
    resisting medium, and to consist of patches of different densities, then
    some would move faster and some more slowly; but all, in spirals such as
    have been spoken of; and the general aspect produced would be, that of the
    spiral nebulae which I have endeavoured to describe. The luminous matter
    owuld be more diffused in the outer and more condensed in the central parts,
    because to the center of attraction all the spirals converge." William
    Whewell, Of the Plurality of World's, edited by Michael Ruse, (Chicago:
    University of Chicago Press, 2001), p. 128

    And, thus, since we know that life can't exist on a comet, we don't need to
    worry about life in the nebula!

    Today, there is hardly a Christian who denies that galaxies are actually
    star systems, but Whewell denied this IN SPITE OF MUCH EVIDENCE THAT THIS
    WAS THE CASE. He didn't believe the sense data! I WOULD LIKE SOMEONE
    COMPETENT ON THE HISTORY OF ASTRONOMY TO COMMENT ON THIS BUT THIS STRIKES ME
    AS AN INACCURATE CRITICISM OF WHEWELLHe hypothesized some
    improbable situation in order to avoid the impact of astronomical data. He
    let his theology drive him to doubt the obvious. ABSOLUTE NONSENSE, YOU NEED
    TO UNDERSTAND WHEWELL AND CONSIDER HIS WIDE EXPERTISE. THERE IS NO WAY HE
    WOULD HAVE MADE SUCH A GLARING BLUNDER. IF HE WAS WRONG ABOUT GALAXIES THEN
    SO WERE MANY OTHERS.This approach is much like
    the anti-evolutionist who denies transitional forms are transitional forms
    because his theology drives him to that position. If one wants to reject
    evolution, one certaintly can't accept transitional forms. (see
    http://www.glenn.morton.btinternet.co.uk/transit.htm
    http://www.glenn.morton.btinternet.co.uk/cambevol.htm). When we deny sense
    data, like Whewell did, we look very silly to future generations of
    Christians. AND WHEN WE MAKE DUBIOUS COMMENTS LIKE THIS.

     "Intelligence, as we see in the human race, in order to have those
    characters which concern our argument, implies a history of intellectual
    development: and to assume arbitrarily a history of intellectual development
    for the inhabitants of a remote planet, as a ground of reasoning, either for
    or against Religion, is a proceeding which we can hardly be expected either
    to assent to or to refute." William Whewell, Of the Plurality of World's,
    edited by Michael Ruse, (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2001), p. 47

    What astounds me in this is that Whewell laid out a perfectly logical and
    convincing (to me) case that intelligence must act universally like ours
    does, and then he rejects this consequence when it goes against his
    preferred point. YOU HAVE NOT MADE YOUR POINT

     And this is what concerns me most about Christianity's apologetical
    efforts.
    We seem to be hidebound to deny observational data while inconsistently
    expecting everyone to accept the observational data for the resurrection.
    The Bible warns us not to be double minded.

    I WOULD SUGGEST YOU FIND OUT MORE ABOUT WHEWELL AND MID 19 CENTURY VIEWS OF
    GALAXIES BEFORE CONTINUING WITH YOUR REVIEW.

    ALSO DONT JUDGE HISTORICAL CHARACTERS BY OUR OWN IDEAS

    MICHAEL