Re: Pasteur and nature of science

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 12:15:29 EST

    Gordon Simons wrote:

    > If I ever came to believe what you say about the relationship between
    > "observations and experiments" and "scientific knowledge," I would abandon
    > my career. I have been taught and believe that data (observations) are
    > the life-blood of science, and that I have a moral responsibility to
    > handle, report, and, where possible, interpret data with both care and
    > honesty.

    Respectfully,

    Maybe YOU are somehow different, but if science was so
    apolitical, would Boltzmann have refrained from committing
    suicide? His ideas have strongly influnced moderned physics,
    but the "establishment" sure showed their "unbiased" and
    "welcoming" attituded toward unfamiliar ideas in that
    situation.

    A little reading into the history of science
    does not speak well for the lives and experiences
    of many of the original thinkers we greatly respect
    and admire today and probably never will. and no
    need to jump on the PoMo bandwagon for that.

    by Grace we proceed,
    Wayne