Re: Pasteur and nature of science

From: Michael Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 16:51:56 EST

    Thre is nothing Postmodern in what Ted Davies says, but only an
    acknowledgement of the various factors which influence how scientists make
    their interpretations. What is indoctrinating to say that htis is the case
    as it simply makes us look more closely at the way scientists work. E.g. we
    understand Darwin better if you recognsie his religious views , the
    political milieu etc. Of course if you follow Jim Moore we can go too far as
    he does, but no scientist is a machine for grinding out science, he brings
    all the baggage of his culture.

    When it comes to the interpretation of the resurrection some are also
    cluttered by their cultural baggage, e.g. John spong who will let his wooly
    liberal episcopalean perspective colour everything. The classic are the
    German criitcs of the 19th century.

    Yes scientists (and theologians)are supposed to "interpret data with both
    care and
    > honesty" but their own worldview can get in the way.

    Yes I am inflamed as Ted Davies has been misunderstood and he is not
    teaching Postmodernism but simply pointing out the total contexts scientists
    work in. I am sorry Gordon
    but you have missed the point and have a very simplistic view of how science
    works.

    Michael