RE: Nifty looking hominoid fossil site from Spain.

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 23:34:11 EST

    James, mentions Atapuerca. THere are several interesting features of this
    site which Christians need to pay attention to when building an apologetic.
    I have previously posted on various aspects of Atapuerca. It is one of the
    older well documented European sites.

    They have brain sizes which are only slightly smaller than the modern human
    average. Their brains average 1250 cc and modern human skulls average 1370
    cc. Their brains are most assuredly within the modern range for normal
    brains. One skull has a capacity of 1390 cc (Paul Bahn, "Treasure of the
    Sierra Atapuerca," Archaeology Jan/Feb 1996, p. 45-48, p. 48
    And one of the items found there which has yet to be described is the
    Atapuercan hyoid bone. This bone will tell us whether or not these people
    300,000 years ago had a vocal tract like ours. Neanderthal had a modern
    hyoid, and thus could probably speak like us. It will be interesting to see
    what the older hyoid shows. Here are my former posts.

    Atapuerca has one of the oldest pieces of evidence for religious belief.
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/199710/0431.html

    It is at Atapuerca that the first fossil with a modern human face is found
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/199806/0027.html

    At Gran Dolina, stratigraphically below and geographically very near
    Atapuerca, there is evidence of the earliest burial or body disposal.
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/199706/0103.html and
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/199808/0084.html

    There is an interesting case for ancient men in Europe from stone tool works
    which involves Atapuerca (Ignore the case for paternal mitochondria
    inheritance as it has been disproven. The rest I will still stand by)
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/199908/0103.html

    They are the oldest ACCEPTED men in Europe although there are good cases to
    be made for other sites which are older
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/199908/0084.html

    The morphology of these fossil men have caused one anthropologist to argue
    for the union on H. erectus and H. sapiens
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200003/0149.html

    At one time it was the oldest evidence of toothpick use
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200004/0142.html