Re: staged developmental creation

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 14:52:38 EST

    >From: Peter Ruest <pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch>

    > Here is the view of one of the leading origin-of-life researchers (after
    > he did such research for more than 30 years):
    >
    > Orgel L.E., "The origin of life - a review of facts and speculations",
    > Trends in Biochemical Science 23 (1998), 491-495:

    Peter,

    1. Thanks for the reference. I tried to look it up on the Journal's website
    but I must be doing something incorrectly. Nothing is listed under Orgel as
    author, and the list of contents for volume 23 (1998) ends at p. 450. Any
    suggestions? I'd like to see the piece in its entirety to get a better sense
    of the context of his remarks.

    2. Question: Given Orgel's experience, does he despair of science ever
    coming to a better understanding of the formation of first life? Does he,
    for example, conclude that, in spite of all of the remarkable things that
    molecules and molecular configurations can do, the formational economy of
    the universe is inadequate for the actualization of life without being
    supplemented by some sort of divine action? Or, on the other hand, does he
    judge that it makes perfectly good sense for him to continue his research in
    the field of "first formation of living systems" (more commonly called
    "origin of life" research)?

    Howard