Re: Staged developmental creation.

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 09:56:01 EST

    >From: RDehaan237@aol.com

    I had asked Bob,

    > How does irreducible
    > complexity -- the new dimension in this case -- get added if not by divine
    > action of the sort that imposes new structures on some system that was,
    > presumably, unable to achieve that structure by the use of its own
    > formational capabilities? If that's the way the new structure gets
    > actualized, then isn't that supernatural action (Griffin sense)? >>

    Bob replied:

    > I think you have trouble understanding my position because of the terms you
    > use to characterize it in formulating your questions. You interpreted my view
    > of divine action as dealing with *structures*-- "impose new structures on
    > some system," and "unable to achieve that structure" and "new structures get
    > actualized."
    >
    > Actually, I said that divine action deals in purposes, teleonomy, complexity,
    > and stages. I never used the words structure, or system, or actualization.
    > Yet you ascribe them to me and that makes it difficult for us to communicate.

    I employed the term "structures" because in biotic systems, that's the form
    in which the information/complexity that you are concerned with appears. [I
    suppose that it might also be a physicist's habit to think in these terms.]

    > Perhaps I can clarify my position by adopting your terminology. Let me say
    > then that what divine action adds is *new formational capabilities* to
    > creation.

    OK, thanks for the effort. Let's follow up on that. Suppose that God were to
    add a "new formational capability" to the Creation today at 1 p.m. Would
    atoms, or molecules, or cells then be able to do things after 1 p.m. that
    they were not able to do before? Would the observable/measurable properties
    or behavior patterns of atoms, molecules, or cells be observed to change at
    1 p.m.? Is this how new, more complex structures/systems arise?

    The reference to this divine act of adding "new formational capabilities"
    appears several times again. [see ALL CAPS] In order to follow what you're
    saying, I need to know how this relates to the manner in which atoms and
    molecules actualize new structures.

    > These are not random, haphazard additions. Rather, they are added
    > in a planned sequence. After a given stage has completed its purposes, NEW
    FORMATIONAL CAPABILITIES are added, and the transition is made to a new
    stage
    > of creational development. Each new stage builds on the accomplishments of
    > the previous one and adds increased complexity to creation.
    >
    > Stage one: Prebiotic stage. In this stage the universe as a whole, and plane
    > t earth in particular are made ready for the appearance of life (as seen in
    > the anthropic principle and the rare earth hypothesis). There is nothing,
    > however, in the prebiotic stage that would predict that single-cell life
    > would be formed in the next stage. NEW FORMATIONAL CAPABILITIES needed to be
    > added.
    >
    > Stage two: Cellular life. Divine action adds *NEW FORMATIONAL CAPABILITIES*
    > to creation at this time that initiates this second developmental stage. The
    > first cell is formed, and single cellular life takes off, using the abundant
    > physical and chemical resources prepared in stage one.
    >
    > Stage Three: Complex metazoan life. Divine action adds more NEW FORMATIONAL
    CAPABILITIES at this time. The result: is the formation of body plans of
    the
    > founders of the great animal families (phyla) that have inhabited the world
    > in the last half-billion years or so. These complex metazoans employ the
    > building blocks of individual cells from the previous stage, but in new and
    > unpredictable ways.
    >
    > Stage Four: Self-conscious sentient life. Again divine action adds NEW
    FORMATIONAL CAPABILITIES to complex metazoan life to form human beings.
    > (Here we are let in on the cosmic secret that these human being were created
    > in the image of the divine actor.)
    >
    > Some of these stages can undoubtedly be subdivided into finer sub-stages.
    >
    > How are divine action and creaturely action related? No one really knows. I
    > take a cue from Rom. 4:17 in describing the actions of God, "who calls into
    > existence things that do not exist." This sounds to me like continuing,
    > planned divine action, not a once-and-for-all call.

    Thanks for your continuing efforts to clarify your proposition for me.

    Howard