RE: Applied evolution

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 18:23:47 EST

    >NW: I know what you are saying (sort of), but the problem
    is that "everyone" knows that Evolutionary Processes are
    long term, as in "mill-yons and mill-yons of years," so that
    when you say that you are going to "apply" evolution to a
    current problem, we get the mental concept of asking one
    of you for the time, and you start explaining how to build a
    clock...or more appropriately, you look up at your calendar.
    But, in actuality, if you are doing DNA testing, etc, etc, which
    may, as you claim, have a basis in phylogenic
    determination, it may not be required for that to be fully
    understood by the lay user. It is like the use of the Wilson
    cloud chamber; the particle physicist does not have to
    know meteorology to use it.
    >To apply the title "Applied Evolution," or worse,
    "Evolutionary Biology," to all the technology that you are
    willing to share with others will undoubtedly earn you the
    ill-will we all share for NASA, who proudly lays claim for
    nearly every piece of American technology since Sputnik,
    from calculators to electric toothbrushes, especially near
    Congressional appropriations time.<

    DC: Evolutionary biology is relevant to many applications,
    but certainly identifying everything with any conneciton as
    evolutionary is unreasonable. Detailed knowledge of
    evolutionary biology is not necessary to many of its
    applications, nor is it the sole field producing anything.
    However, evolution under artificial selection can produce
    practical applications within a reasonable amount of time.
    Bacteria, viruses, artificial nucleic acid strands, and
    computer simulations can evolve fast enough to produce
    results on a timescale that can actually get industrial
    interest. Most eukaryotes require a bit of help, aka genetic
    modification, to gain new features fast enough for
    commercial appeal, though hybridization of different crop
    strains can also produce novel features reasonably quickly.

    >NW: So, do you agree that artificial selection should not
    be touted as a cause of evolution, especially if speciation
    has not been proven, or do you feel that all "selections" are
    fair game?

    DC: Artificial selection can cause evolution. Domestic and
    lab organisms are different from the ancestral forms. This
    is not usually very extensive evolution, though there are
    several new species and at least one new genus produced
    by artifical selection. Higher taxonomic categories become
    more problematic to define and recognize. There are fruit
    fly mutants that lack certain distinguishing features of all
    flies, or even of all insects. Do these constitute new orders
    or classes?

    For evidence of common descent of higher taxa (more or
    less what macroevolution seems to mean in young-earth
    or other antievolutionary contexts), artificial evolution does
    not help much. Paleontology and molecular systematics
    are the major sources of evidence for the evolution of
    suprageneric taxa.

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        46860 Hilton Dr #1113
        Lexington Park MD 20653 USA
        bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand
    Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G.
    Wodehouse, Romance at Droigate Spa

    Sent via the WebMail system at
    mail.davidson.alumlink.com