Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Peter Ruest (pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 12:50:03 EST

    > Subject: What does the creation lack?
    > Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 ...
    > From: "Howard J. Van Till" <hvantill@novagate.com>
    > To: george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    >
    > Thanks for your comments on the Ruest
    > proposal to place God's creative and
    > providential work in what I might call
    > the "shadows of scientific ignorance"
    > where we could never be certain whether
    > it was the Creator or some creature that
    > did the acting. As such, you are correct
    > to place it in the same camp as earlier
    > proposals by Wm. Pollard, Bob Russell
    > and John Polkinghorne.
    >
    > For the purpose of getting comments from
    > other perspectives on this type of
    > proposal, I didn't offer much in the way
    > of critical evaluation in my earlier
    > post. The one thing I did, however, was
    > to place it in the context of all
    > proposals that are built on the
    > presumption that the creation is lacking
    > something so that divine compensation
    > becomes necessary. Where Ruest's
    > proposal differs from the more common
    > episodic creationist approaches is (1)
    > that it does not build on the idea of
    > capability gaps in the creation's
    > formational economy, and (2) it
    > includes the theologically motivated
    > expectation that divine
    > creative/providential action be
    > non-coercive or non-miraculous.

    Re. "the presumption that the creation is lacking something":
    (a) act(s) of creation: No!
    (b) product(s) of creation: Yes!
    God develops (continually, providentially) what he has created (e.g. God
    creates [bara'] a human individual: God's action certainly is perfect,
    but the fertilized ovum, embryo, newborn baby, child, adult just as
    certainly is unfinished at the given moment - by God's design).

    > Actually, (1) needs to be stated more
    > carefully. Although Ruest says there are
    > no capability gaps (the creation is able
    > to do the things that need to be done)
    > he then adds the idea that the
    > capabilities that are present are too
    > inefficient to get the job done. In
    > place of capability gaps Ruest seems to
    > be proposing improbability barriers. I
    > am inclined, however, to see these
    > improbability barriers as a subclass of
    > capability gaps. In either case, God
    > must act in order to compensate for what
    > the creation is unable or unlikely to
    > accomplish.
    >
    > Howard Van Till

    The scientific viewpoint: can information emerge out of nothing? To a
    very limited degree, some information about the environment is, by
    natural selection, slowly transferred to a species, but this process
    is insufficient for complex novel functions accessible via non-selected
    intermediates only. Improbability barriers are, in principle, scientific
    observations (or scientific judgments of feasibility, based on
    observations on both sides of an argument).

    The theological viewpoints:
    (a) acts of creation and products of creation have to be distinguished
    (the word "creation" covers both). What argument would deny the
    possibility of an unfinished product of a perfect act of creation?
    (b) Capability gaps are primarily theologically defined. Interpretations
    of scientific observations are linked with probability margins. A
    presumed gap cannot be defined scientifically - there may always be
    missing information, possibly provided by further observations.

    Thus, improbability barriers cannot be compared to capability gaps.

    Peter