Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Peter Ruest (pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 12:48:47 EST

    > From: george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
    > To: "Howard J. Van Till" <hvantill@novagate.com>
    > Subject: Re: What does the creation lack?
    > Date: Fri, Oct 26, 2001, 6:50 AM
    >
    > Howard -
    >
    > An obvious question about Peter's
    > proposal, & the only one I address here, concerns
    > the nature of the "several physical processes for
    > which many differing outcomes are possible" and
    > for which "There are permanent epistemic barriers
    > ... that prevent science from gaining sufficient
    > knowledge to predict which particular outcome will
    > occur." In his articles he says "they may include
    > quantum uncertainties, randomness in elementary
    > events, unpredictability due to minute parameter
    > value deviations in nonlinear systems liable to
    > produce deterministic chaos, and coincidences."
    > It's not clear what "randomness" & "coincidence"
    > might refer to other than aspects of the other two
    > possibilities, which are the ones that really need
    > to be considered: Quantum uncertainty & chaos.

    An example of randomness in elementary events: which one of the N bases
    in a given DNA gets hit by a cosmic ray or decaying radioactive atom,
    producing a mutation. An example of a coincidence: two specific
    mutations essential for an evolutionary path occur at about the same
    time in a given piece of DNA.

    > A number of people, going back to Wm
    > Pollard, have suggested that God acts below the
    > level of the uncertainty principle. Bob Russell
    > has recently (in his essay in Evolutionary and
    > Molecular Biology) connected the idea that God
    > acts at the quantum level with genetic mutations &
    > evolution. Polkinghorne has emphasized the role of
    > chaos in giving God freedom of action in the
    > world.
    > There's a problem with trying to do this
    > entirely with classical chaos, for there the
    > equations of motion are still deterministic, even
    > though there is sensitivity to initial conditions.
    > Therefore free divine action would have to involve
    > some type of "violation" of the classical laws,
    > even though that violation would be undetectable
    > by us. But even though there is no "quantum
    > chaos" in the strict sense, divine action at the
    > quantum level could provide the variation in
    > initial conditions needed for classical chaos.

    Such divine influencing of intial conditions at the quantum level may
    decide which path a system takes at a chaos bifurcation. Such actions at
    the quantum level selecting a given bifurcation path may occur at many
    points in the origin and development of life. No "violation" whatsoever
    need be involved.

    > A proposal that God acts at the quantum
    > level to bring about definite results of
    > measurement processes (i.e., God collapses wave
    > packets) needs to be spelled out more fully. Does
    > it mean that God collapses all the wave packets of
    > all measurement processes throughout the universe?
    > If so, does this happen through some hidden
    > variables or simply by decreeing the result of
    > each process?
    > Or does God only determine the results of certain
    > critical processes, such as those required for
    > some steps in evolution? If so, what determines
    > the results of all other quantum processes?

    My proposal only involves these critical events relevant for biology.
    Others may possibly have occurred in cosmology (cf. the anthropic
    cosmological principle). I suppose events not critical for anything may
    be left to genuine chance (cf. my paper "How has life and its diversity
    been produced?" PSCF 44/2 (June 1992), 80-94).

    Peter