RE: staged developmental creation

From: Woodward Norm Civ WRALC/TIEDM (Norm.Woodward@robins.af.mil)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 12:35:31 EST

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Howard J. Van Till [mailto:hvantill@novagate.com]
    Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 11:55 AM
    To: asa@calvin.edu
    Subject: Re: staged developmental creation

    >From: Woodward Norm Civ WRALC/TIEDM <Norm.Woodward@robins.af.mil>

    > ---And, so, from this POV, the creator did not exist before his creation?

    Correct.

    Thomas Aquinas, many centuries ago, offered a similar (but not identical)
    possibility. The world (as a creation) need not have a beginning in time. As
    Aquinas saw it, the essence of the Creator/creation relationship is not that
    one preceded the other in time, but that one (the creation) is at all times
    dependent on the other (the Creator) for its being.

    ---Now, I know this is not identical to the first item in the original
    Humanist Manifesto, that is:

     "Religious humanists regard the universe as self-existing and not created."

    But I somehow get the feeling that it is, in effect, a distinction with a
    difference..

    Also, this naturalistic theism would seem to predicate an eternal universe.
    Does the Big Bang and Cold Death concepts put a damper on this "religion?"

    > Or is it, a being can exist without "an essential part of (its) nature"?

    No, that entails a contradiction.

    Thanks, I was worried there for a moment....8^)

    Norm