RE: Applied evolution

From: Woodward Norm Civ WRALC/TIEDM (Norm.Woodward@robins.af.mil)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 11:21:20 EST

    -----Original Message-----
    From: bivalve [mailto:bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 6:18 PM
    To: asa@calvin.edu
    Subject: RE: Applied evolution

    DC: Actually, it might be easier to get funding for the ag
    school than for evolutionary research. If research on
    evolution were superabundantly funded, I would have spent
    a lot less of my own money doing my dissertation research
    and would now have a job. However, people who think that
    evolutionary biology is all established fact, questioned only
    by religious cranks, and no longer an area of active
    research, or that it is the heart of the great left wing atheistic
    conspiracy, or that it is some irrelevant academic pursuit,
    are not likely to think that it needs funding.
    >>"1. In the quote..."These examples present opportunities
    for education of the public and for nontraditional career
    paths in evolutionary biology..." what is the alternative to
    "evolutionary biology?" "Creationist biology?" Do the
    Fundies really have a gripe against the basic tenets of
    immunology? Of hybridization? Of computer
    viruses? (That last one was a stretch, but it was inferred in
    the authors' previous sentence.)"<<

    DC: Probably the alternatives that the authors had in mind
    would be things like molecular biology, medicine, ecology,
    environmental science, physiology, or genetics. By
    evolutionary biology they mean the study of evolution itself.
    Although the point of the article is that evolution is quite
    relevant to these other fields, it is not the main focus for
    them. In fact, workers in one field of biology may be quite
    ignorant about other fields. I have spent several days this
    semester trying to straighten out the taxonomy of mollusks
    and related invertebrates from the mangling given to them
    by molecular biologists in the NIH database of genetic data
    (GenBank). However, you certainly do not want me as your
    physician.
    NW: Nor, perhaps, as a government-funded contractor.
    Evolutionary biologists have an uphill PR battle as does any "pure
    scientist." Will a straightened-out mollusk taxonomy at the NIH get the
    Chesapeake Bay cleaned up? Those of us who like fried clams just don't get
    concerned by their pedigree.
    I agree that evolutionary biologists are stigmatized, but it is
    self-imposed. I, too, would get an image of a near-fossilized PhD poring
    over old books and even older bones, probably by the light of a candle stuck
    in a former critic's skull. (OK, OK, I was getting a little melodramatic
    there...)
    If you want to develop another interdisciplinary program, give it a real
    nondescript name, like "Cladistic Mechanics." In fact, to get Freshmen
    interested, call the introductory course, "Scantily Cladtistics 101." Of
    course, be sure you don't give them a clue as to its overall subject matter
    until it is too late to switch, or get a refund on their tuition/textbooks.
    Just trying to help. 8^)

    DC: Creationist is a problematic term. Belief in a creation event
    certainly does not require belief in a young earth nor
    rejection of evolution, despite the efforts of many
    young-earth advocates to label all old-earthers as
    evolutionists even if they do not accept evolution.
    Antievolutionary biology has often made claims opposing
    the basic tenents of immunology and other fields. A
    notable example is Phil Johnson claiming that HIV does
    not cause AIDS. However, this seems to reflect a personal
    inclination to conspiracy theorizing rather than a usual view
    of antievolutionary advocates.
    NW: I tried to pick up on the basis of his claim of non-viral causes of
    AIDS, but none sprung up on my search engine. I did see his "conspiracy
    theorizing," with which I tended to agree. I also have another pet theory,
    which is only backed by certain anecdotal evidence, that many deaths due to
    AIDS could have been prevented if those who were tested "HIV positive" for
    the related antibody were not told that they would inevitably develop
    full-blown AIDS. The fact that so many HIV positive individuals have
    survived much longer than expected, without developing any AIDS related
    symptoms, would indicate to me that their personal immune system had
    successfully defended against their initial exposure. However, if the
    individual was told that further "risky behavior" would have no effect on
    their prognosis, their subsequent exposure to other, perhaps more resistant,
    strains could lead to a fatal infection.
    I know, theories are like noses...everyone has one, and they all smell.
    Or something like that...8^)
    DC: One very widespread false antievolutionary claim that
    attacks the basic tenants of immunology and computer
    viruses (among other fields) is the claim that mutations are
    almost always or always harmful. If this were true, new
    diseases and variant computer viruses would be practically
    non-existant. In fact, mutations usually have little effect. In
    the case of the HIV virus, high levels of mutations are vital
    and beneficial (from its point of view) in order to keep a
    jump ahead of the immune system. Likewise, mutational
    ability has made some computer viruses particularly
    successful.
    Viruses, "biotic" or otherwise, are strange little creatures, and while
    their mutations are a fascinating and important subject, I would find their
    use as a model for the microevolution of bacteria, let alone the
    macroevolution of vertebrates, highly suspect. I mean, how "handicapped"
    could a mutant virus BE?

    >>"2. The authors (I assume) chose "artificial selection" as
    the first group of key words to this proposal. If find this
    ironic, since the remainder of the paper would indicate that
    there isn't any such process."<<

    DC: Artificial selection is when deliberate choice by
    humans causes change in organisms over time. The
    "improvement of agricultural crops and animals" by
    selective breeding, mentioned in the article, is the classic
    example of artificial selection. This is why Darwin used so
    many pages of Origin of Species talking about pigeon
    breeding. The developments of pesticide-resistant insects
    or antibiotic-resistant bacteria are other examples.
    NW: What you say is true and logical, but I have heard many of today's
    evolutionists claim that the division between artificial selection and
    natural selection is, well, artificial. If the individual has certain
    traits, if lives (and multiplies); if it doesn't it dies. That is what good
    ol' Sagan called his "proof" of the "fact" of evolution in his Cosmos
    series, and it's one of the thorn's in the side of many of us concerning the
    typical presentation of evolution.

      Thanks for your reply.

    Norm