God and space, was Re: The ASA List

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 17:18:20 EDT

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:59:11 -0400 Moorad Alexanian
    <alexanian@uncwil.edu> writes:
    > My concern is that there is an archive that can be accessed by anyone
    > and so
    > posts that are not very sensible will give a negative view of this
    > list. No
    > matter what is one's view one has to moderate the presentation and
    > not be
    > very repetitive about it. I strongly believe that the notion of a
    > God
    > outside our spacetime is not derivable by any human thought. It is
    > a waste
    > of time for everyone to entertain such a notion and may indicate the
    > state
    > of mind of those who profess it. Moorad

    Moorad,
    Your comment reminded me of the statement, can't remember who said it
    first, that to deny the Trinity is to endanger our souls; to try to
    understand, our minds. Obviously, this is not something that human
    thought can produce. It is a matter of the self-revelation of God. But
    every orthodox theologian analyses and draws conclusions from that
    revelation. All these attempts are not necessarily consistent, but they
    are honest attempts to deal with the interpreted facts of revelation. I
    phrase it that way because, though some claim to "take the Bible alone as
    it stands," they are unaware of all they are bringing to the Word.

    The same principle holds for God as Creator. If the Eternal One, the "I
    AM," is within space-time, then either he cannot be the source of time or
    else the universe is eternal and so not created, though perhaps formed by
    divine action. Further, we do not have space and time without matter.
    This, I contend, does not agree with the declaration that "God is
    spirit." To argue, as Hobbes did, that spirit is a "refined" matter does
    not help. I think the problem is that he confuses "substance" with
    "matter," since the substances we directly encounter in sensory
    experience are material.

    That the Eternal is not within our universe of space-time-matter does not
    leave us independent of him, for it only holds together through Christ,
    the Second Person of the Trinity who entered his creation as a member of
    Adam's race for its salvation. This, and all other matters, are within
    his control, even though he has granted some freedom to human beings.

    While a deity outside of space, time and matter, is not something we can
    image, I believe that it is the proper understanding of his
    transcendence. That, as the source and sustainer of every aspect of
    creation, he is involved yet not a part thereof, is a matter of his
    immanence. Our language, because of our finite existence, is so steeped
    in time that it does not fit our attempts to speak of the Creator as he
    is. That is why we have such locutions as "In the beginning _was_ the
    Word," "which God ... promised _before_ the world began" and "Who verily
    was _foreordained before_ the foundation of the world."

    I grant that it is possible to take only one side of the whole and come
    up with the purely transcendant deity of deism or the purely immanent
    panentheistic deity of process theology, not too far from pantheism.
    Neither of these, though they both have been popular, and even have
    affected the formulations of some who have tried to be strictly orthodox,
    fits my understanding of the biblical revelation.

    Brother, please don't read me out of the household of faith.
    Dave