Induction proofs of interestingness and Genesis: (was Re: forwarding my ASA post per your request)

From: Iain Strachan (iain.strachan2@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 08:05:40 EDT

    I wrote (in answer to John Burgeson):

    > > The agreement with the "interesting number" was to five places of decimals,
    > > so the odds of any given number on any particular text variant with any
    > > particular mathematical transformation is 1e-5.

    The rest was a careful probability calculation demonstrating that John's claim that you were "virtually certain" to find a hit, was in fact the exact opposite. Even given a generous selection of key numbers, all of which were intrinsically interesting from a mathematical point of view (or at leas famous in maths), you were in fact virtually certain not to get a hit.

    George has chosen to ignore this point completely, but instead change the subject by latching on to my use of the word "Interesting" , - which I was re-quoting from John in the first place:

    > Is it superfluous for me to again point out the fact, easily provable by
    > mathematical induction, that there is no "uninteresting number"?

    There are of course many such "proofs" that could be constructed, and none of them make any difference to the argument. I do not know which one you were referring to, George, but here's one example, and why I think it is fallacious:

    This is the essence of the induction proof that all numbers are "interesting".

    Step 1:

    Given an infinite set U(n) of numbers some of which are "interesting" and some
    of which are "uninteresting", construct the two subsets I(n+1) and U(n+1)
    containing respectively the interesting and uninteresting numbers from U(n).

    Arrange the members of U(n+1) is some specified order (e.g. ascending).

    Note that element j of U(n+1) might be termed "interesting" if j is a member of
    I(n+1).

    Therefore it is possible to partition an uninteresting set of numbers into an
    interesting and an uninteresting set by adding in the extra definition of
    "interestingness".

    (*) Therefore given an initial set that contains a mixture of self-evidently
    interesting numbers and uninteresting ones, it is possible to prove that all
    members of that set are interesting by induction.

    Step 2:

    Consider the set U(0) of all positive integers. Self-evidently the number 1 is
    interesting because it is the first and unity has unique properties in
    arithmetic.

    So the set S has the required properties for (*) to be true.

    Therefore all numbers are interesting.

    The fallacy of the argument, I believe, is that at every step in the induction,
    you have to introduce a new (and subtly different) criterion for
    "interestingness". Each one is dependent on the last, and in the whole argument
    there is only one number that is intrinsically interesting, rather than interesting by
    virtue of an artificial criterion you have introduced.
     An infinite number of such criteria are necessary in order
    to complete the proof.

    This reminds me of the old joke about the apprentice Zen monk asking the head monk
    what it is that holds the earth up in space. The head monk replies that the
    earth rests on the back of an enormous elephant that in turn rests on the back
    of an even bigger turtle. When the apprentice asks what holds the turtle up,
    the head monk replies "it's turtles all the way".

    In essence, the induction proof that all numbers are interesting is an infinite
    stack of turtles and doesn't demonstrate anything mathematically interesting.

    It is perfectly clear that the above "proof" allows no mathematically
    interesting or useful computations to be made.

     By contrast, let me try and put in a reasonably short space of time why I
     believe the mathematical patterns presented by Jenkins are of a genuinely
     interesting kind, and therefore may be said to be part of a deliberate design.
     Unlike Jenkins, I will not discuss the identity of the designer; that is up to
     the you to decide. This is part of the original research on Jenkins' web-site; the
    "e" and "pi" stuff are quite different; almost an added extra.

     First, let's point out that the attachment of numbers to Hebrew letters is
     historically verifiable - and was probably influenced by the Greek system,
     which was introduced in the 5th Cent. BC. My previous posting gave the