[Fwd: Re: Cosmic Laws Like Speed of Light Might Be Changing, a Study Finds]

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 07:54:43 EDT

            An update on the itme below from this list about month ago,
    since I finally got time to get down to the library & look at the actual
    paper in Phys. Rev. Lett. of 27 August 2001, 091301-4, by J.K. Webb et
    al., "Further Evidence for Cosmological Evolution of the Fine Structure
    Constant". It presents evidence from quasar absorption spectra for a
    variantion in alpha = (e^2)/(h-bar)c . As I noted originally, the
    simplest way to understand this is as a variation of e, not c (or h).
    The paper does mention briefly near the end the possibility of a
    variation in c but primarily because they think (with reference to
    papers by other authors) that it could help to explain some other
    cosmological data.
            Highlighting the possibility of a change in the speed of light
    seems to have been the decision of science writers rather that the
    scientists involved in the work themselves. I don't know whether this
    is because a change in c (with the possibility in the change of
    Einstein's iconic status) is more jazzy than a variation in e or because
    the writers just thought it was easier for the publisc to understand,
    but it does seem to be an interesting commentary on the popular
    presentation of science today.