Re: Important creationist book/ RC Sproul

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 15:46:22 EDT

    >A Creationary model:
    >Grand Canyon was carved during the later stages of the warm-Ice age that immediately followed the Catastrophe. A large lake was formed as flood waters sweeping SW from the Rockies and Colorado Plateau uplift (the Laramid Orogeny) were trapped by the uplift of the Kaibab Up-warp. Ground water from the entrapped lake seeped through the rocks of the Kaibab up-warp and a spring formed on the west side of the plateau. Over time, the spring grew in size and a cavern/canyon worked it's way headward toward the lake through porous, probably not fully lithified, rocks. Eventually the cave reached the lake, the dam was breached, and the lake drained catastrophically, creating a narrow crevice across the Kaibab up-warp looking much like the current canyon of the Little Colorado, but several times deeper and a little wider. Over the millennia since then, the Canyon widened to its present state due to differences in precipitation and lay of the land.<

    One of my Czech relatives claimed that the Grand Canyon was the result of a Czech pioneer seeking to retrieve a nickel he had dropped down a gopher hole. Without any evidence that the processes required by either model could have sufficient effect in the necessary time, I am sceptical of both. The model that you suggest does have the advantage of not trying to produce the canyon during the Flood, in contrast to other YEC claims that I have encountered.

        Dr. David Campbell
        "Old Seashells"
        46860 Hilton Dr #1113
        Lexington Park MD 20653 USA
        bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    "That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks"-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at Droigate Spa

    Sent via the WebMail system at mail.davidson.alumlink.com