Re: forwarding my ASA post per your request

From: Iain Strachan (iain.strachan2@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 14:58:55 EDT

    John wrote:

    > Those "probabilities" multiply, of course. Assume only two text variants,
    > 24 "interesting numbers," and, say, 20 "interesting mathematical
    > transformations." The probability of finding two of those numbers under
    > those circumstances is already fairly high. Add to that the concept that
    > "if not Gen 1 then perhaps Lev 1, etc. and the odds drop to almost
    > certainty.

    OK, let's do the calculation.

    The agreement with the "interesting number" was to five places of decimals,
    so the odds of any given number on any particular text variant with any
    particular mathematical transformation is 1e-5.

    We want to compute the probability of not getting a "hit" ( five place
    agreement) for any combination of number, text variant and mathematical
    transformation.

    Probability any one case is not a hit is 1 - 1e-5 = 0.99999.

    Number of possiblilities, given your figures, is 2 (variants) x 20
    (transformations) x 24 (interesting numbers) = 960.

    Therefore the chance of not getting a hit is 0.99999^(960) = 0.99044.

    So you are 99% certain not to get a hit, or have less than 1% chance of
    getting a hit.

    So to find two numbers, one for each verse the chance is (1-0.99044)^2 =
    9.13x10^-5. or roughly 1 chance in 10,000. I would not call that a "fairly
    high" probability, and that's using 24 numbers and trying 20 different
    mathematical functions. You seem to imply that it only takes a few more
    relaxations to make it virtually certain that you will have a hit. But on
    your figures it's virtually certain you won't have a hit.

    How many extra functions/numbers etc would you need to make it virtually
    certain that you'd get a hit.

    Well if (functions) x (numbers) x (variants) = 500,000, then I grant you
    that the probability of a hit is 0.993262, e.g. if you had 50 functions,
    100 text variants and 100 "interesting numbers".

    The real figures are 1 function (we specified it had to be the same function
    on John as on Genesis), approximately 2 text variants (one of which, I
    dispute, over the iota subscript), and a maximum of around 10 numbers (in
    reality e and pi are the most relevant).

    Additionally, we only took Gen 1:1 and John 1:1 because they have strong
    textual parallels, being about "the beginning". Lev 1:1 would not match
    John 1:1 in a textual sense.

    So I don't see how you can claim it's virtually certain that we would find
    something.

    Best,
    Iain.