Re: New thread: Mathematical truth (Was a sin-off of Re: How Einstein and Hammond proved God exists)

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 22:12:12 EDT

    Tom wrote: "If we are talking about the Christian deity, then it's
    because such a proposal wreaks havoc with the traditional doctrine of
    God. That doctrine posits certain attributes of God -- omnipotence,
    omniscience, omnibenevolence, et al -- as being essential expressions of
    God's being. You cannot "limit" any of those attributes without
    abandoning the traditional portrayal of the Christian God."

    That is a correct statement, of course. The question unposed by it is, of
    course, is this: "Is the "traditional doctrine of God" a correct one?"
    The proponents of both process theology and open theism freely admit that
    those concepts (metaphors?) of God do not square with tradition, and, of
    course, argue that tradition has performed the fallacy of misplaced
    concreteness (a phrase attributed to Alfred North Whitehead) by mistaking
    images (metaphors) of God for reality.

    My own position is one of a traditional view. But in studying these other
    options, I have to admit their arguments are very persuasive. And
    interesting. Whitehead is not easy reading, however.

    Tom continued: "A Christian God whose omnipotence can be curtailed may
    turn out to be a God who cannot perform the miracle of redeeming and
    reconciling his fallen creation. A Christian God whose omniscience can
    be tampered with may not in fact know the needs and sufferings of his own
    flock (Matthew 6:32). "

    The operative word here is "may." One needs to read carefully how people
    handle these matters.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)