God/math

From: Lucy Masters (masters@cox-internet.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 14:05:24 EDT

    To All:

    I've mentioned this before on this list, but just in case you missed
    it..... If the topic of God and mathematics interests you, you should
    invest your time (and cognitive muscle!) by reading "Where Mathematics
    Comes From: How the Embodied Mind Brings Mathematics Into Being" by
    Lakoff and Nunez. I am always troubled when authors try to "prove" the
    existence of God by using mathematics or statistics as if those subjects
    represent objective truth. My training in cognition convinced me long
    before Lakoff and Nunez that the human mind orders the world in a way
    that it can be understood (e.g. mathematics). The ordering of that
    world is man's ordering - not God's. "Proof" is a counter to "faith"
    anyway - and certainly not a foundation for belief. Then to design a
    proof based upon a human invention is even more outrageous.

    Lucy