Classes of people

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 13:46:54 EDT

    On another discussion group, one person wrote: "I tend to associate in a
    general sense a promiscuity and very frequent partner changes with
    homosexuality ... ."

    I replied:

    In general, I think that may be true, although similar heterosexual
    behavior is not exactly unknown! < G >. Would there be more promiscuity
    among heterosexuals if marriage were not an option? Probably. Would there
    be LESS promiscuity among homosexuals if marriage WERE an option?
    Probably. It IS well documented that there are a significant number of
    persons who would choose "one partner for life" and a commitment ceremony
    to seal it if one were available. Whether that number is 1% (low
    estimate) or as much as 5% or more, people still argue over.

    Most people today think of sexuality as dividing people into two classes,
    homosexual and heterosexual. Then they must think of two more classes,
    heterosexual monogamous and heterosexual otherwise.

    I am working on classifying people differently -- those who are (or want
    to be) sexually monogamous and those otherwise. That allows me to see the
    first as "OK" and the second class as "in sin" as far as sexual issues
    are concerned.

    Thanks for your comments.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)