Re: Editorial help

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 00:38:43 EDT

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 22:11:20 -0500 James Mahaffy <mahaffy@mtcnet.net>
    writes:
    > Folks,
    >
    > I am working at home so can not go through a bunch of journals, but
    > do
    > any of you know if I should use lowercase (jfm) or uppercase (JFM)
    > refer to myself in some notes. I called an english colleague and he
    > said uppercase, but english prof's don't always use scientific
    > style.
    > Somehow I like the look of the lowercase better.
    > --
    > James and Florence Mahaffy 712 722-0381 (Home)
    > 227 S. Main St. 712 722-6279 (Office)
    > Sioux Center, IA 51250

    I have checked Turabian, 4th ed., 1973; University of Chicago Manual,
    1947; APA Publication Manual, 1980; MLA Style Manual, 1985. None
    authorize the use of initials alone in footnotes, etc. After the first
    occurrence, they allow the surname without given name or initials. There
    may have been a change in more recent material, but I do not expect it.
    The only place I have seen initials has been in papers with multiple
    authors in a phrase like "one of us (ABC) ...," always with caps. The
    only exception I can imagine would be a German's DvE, for von is not
    capitailzed.
    Dave