Re: historical science, from Payne-Miller

From: Bert Massie (bert@massie-labs.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 12:40:56 EDT

    One should not dismiss historical "science" as unreliable. Quite to the contrary, your not important comment that all evidence we observe is the past past aside, it is important enough that in reality all human behavoir is governed by our perception of the past.

    However, repeateble science can be given a much higher level of certaintaly. I test it, you test it, the man in Moscow tests it, and the preceeding generation tests it.

    There is an attempt to take this mantle of certainty and apply it to almost everything as an advertising approach. I noticed this morning at the gas station that I could purchase gum "scientifically proven" to provide great health benefits. Wow.

    This of course is the objection. Applying the higher level of certaintly of testible theories such as gravity to those theories of distant and only vaguely observed events such a biogenesis.

    Bert Massie