Re: On supernaturalism

From: David F Siemens (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 13:10:24 EDT

    Burgy and Howard,
    My quick appraisal of this interchange suggests that Howard and Griffin
    are talking about two different things. Howard's version of naturalism is
    a matter of the way in which scientists look for answers, one without
    metaphysical assumptions. Griffins "naturalism(ns)" has a load that makes
    it compatible with deism (a deity who does not interact with an
    independent nature), process theology (a deity which is part of the
    universe) and probably Spinoza's deus sive natura, but not with Christian
    theism. It looks to me as though Griffin presents his "definition" to
    support his quasi-theology so that he will not have to come to grips with
    a Creator and Sustainer and Redeemer. The Father of the Lord Jesus Christ
    plays hob with human philosophies.
    Dave