On supernaturalism

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 12:07:20 EDT

    Howard posted, last week, a good response to my speculations on
    supernaturalism. Here is what he said, followed by my own comments.

    "Burgy, You say that

    > On page 36, Griffin asserts that naturalism(sam) is the "fundamental
    > ontological belief of the scientific community." I would argue, rather,
    > that naturalism(ns) is the "fundamental working assumption of the
    > scientific community as it performs science" and that while some may
    > indeed believe naturalism(sam) that not all do, and that, in any event,
    > that is philosophy, not science and irrelevant to the issue. One's
    > beliefs are, of course important, but they can be wrong beliefs; they
    are
    > not (in the Platonic sense) knowledge. I think Griffin's error here is
    > serious one. It is not so much that he is wrong (although I think he
    is)
    > as that he has seized on an irrelevancy.

    When I look on page 36 in my copy of Griffin's _Religion and Scientific
    Naturalism_ I see something quite different. In the last paragraph, from
    which you quote, Griffin is criticizing the common practice of equating
    of
    "theism" with "supernatural interruptionism." _If_ that is what "theism"
    is
    taken to mean, then, says Griffin, "belief in theism, accordingly, would
    almost inevitably connote rejection of naturalism(ns), which is the
    fundamental ontological belief of the scientific community." Griffin
    specifically refers here to naturalism(ns), not naturalism(sam).

    By Griffin's definitions, however, naturalism(ns), -- or "minimal
    naturalism" -- includes the rejection of "supernatural interruptionism,"
    but
    _not_ of "theism." Theism, in Griffin's view, can have a rich concept of
    divine action (in both invariant and variable forms) that is an
    _essential_
    factor in all events/processes in the universe without recourse to
    supernatural interventions that interrupt the universe's own causal
    nexus."

    The problem, I think, is with Griffin's somewhat labored prose. His
    specific words are "Belief in theism, (according to Preus) accordingly,
    would almost inevitably connote rejection of naturalism(ns), which is the
    fundamental ontological belief of the scientific community." If he is
    attributing this last phrase to Preus, that's OK, but it does not appear
    so. Rather, it appears to be Griffin's position. My point is that I don't
    see naturalism(ns) to be a "fundamental ontological belief" of science.
    Rather, I see it as being a "working assumption."

    Perhaps I am making too much of this. But I don't think so. It is
    difficult to think of myself holding one "ontological belief" on
    Monday-Saturday and another on Sunday. I can work with different
    assumptions any day of the week however.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    (source data on issues of science/theology, quantum mechanics, ethics,
    great sports cars, a story of God's intervention into the natural
    causation of the universe, etc.)