Re: Ramm, Rimmer, etc

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 15:41:33 EST

    Wayne wrote:

    > I suspect it comes down to whether you
    > believe the integrity of the people who wrote the Bible. When you
    > read Jeramiah, is it a message that speak to your heart? Do you see him
    > as a self deluded mad man raving at the world, or do you think he has
    > a message that you should be listening to? When you
    > read the Gospel, or the Epistles of Paul, do you think these people
    > were frauds, or self serving opportunists? In short, do you think
    > these are people who have come into contact with the living God, or
    > are they just another band of bamboozling schlockmeisters?

    I do respect the integrity of the people whose writings were included in the
    canon. Their writings were evaluated and selected by communities usually in
    a position to separate wheat from chaff. I'm not fearful that the writers
    were deluded, or raving mad, or frauds, or self-serving opportunists, or
    bamboozling schlockmeisters. My option (2) was in no way intended to suggest
    that.

    The intended distinction was between (1) direct divine revelation, disguised
    to look like human writing and (2) human writing that benefits from an
    awareness of God. Option (1) often leads to Book worship insulated from
    critical evaluation, while (2) invites continuing evaluation in the light of
    the totality of human experience. (1) invites the "say as they said"
    syndrome; (2) invites the "do as they did" strategy that I favor.

    Cordially,

    Howard Van Till