Re: PURE LOGIC

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 07:11:15 EST

    SteamDoc@aol.com wrote:

    > In a message dated 2/26/01 10:38:49 AM Mountain Standard Time,
    > alexanian@uncwil.edu writes:
    >
    >> One day a 6 year old girl was sitting in a classroom.
    >> The teacher was going to explain evolution to the children.
    >> The teacher asked a little boy: Tommy do you see the tree
    >> outside?
    >> TOMMY: Yes.
    >> TEACHER: Do you see the grass outside?
    >> TOMMY: Yes.
    >> TEACHER: Go outside and look up and see if you can see the sky.
    >> TOMMY: Okay. (He returned a few minutes later) Yes, I saw the
    >> sky.
    >> TEACHER: Did you see God?
    >> TOMMY: No.
    >> TEACHER: That's my point. We can't see God because he isn't
    >> there.
    >>
    >> He doesn't exist.
    >
    > Though the story is a bit silly, it makes an important point. Just
    > because
    > God isn't found in the place somebody looks for him, doesn't mean that
    > he
    > doesn't exist. It could just mean that the person is looking in the
    > wrong
    > place, or looking in an inappropriate way.
    >
    > This is of course a lesson to all the atheists who don't see any gaps
    > in
    > nature that require God and therefore conclude he doesn't exist. But
    > it is
    > also a lesson to Christians who insist that God must have left
    > "fingerprints"
    > of a specific nature in order to avoid the collapse of theism. They
    > need to
    > consider that cellular biochemistry or the Cambrian explosion might
    > not be an
    > appropriate place to look for God, and that to base apologetics on
    > such gaps
    > plays into the hands of those who share the flawed reasoning of
    > Tommy's
    > teacher.

            Yes, but a point of clarification may be helpful. God is
    present & active in cellular biochem & was in the Cambrian explosion.
    But we should distinguish between where God is present and where God has
    promised to be present for us. Where God has revealed & made himself
    available for us is in Christ, when he is proclaimed in word & act. We
    can then see God present & active anywhere else in light of that
    revelation.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy