Re: PURE LOGIC

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 23:10:32 EST

    In a message dated 2/26/01 10:38:49 AM Mountain Standard Time,
    alexanian@uncwil.edu writes:

    > One day a 6 year old girl was sitting in a classroom.
    > The teacher was going to explain evolution to the children.
    > The teacher asked a little boy: Tommy do you see the tree outside?
    > TOMMY: Yes.
    > TEACHER: Do you see the grass outside?
    > TOMMY: Yes.
    > TEACHER: Go outside and look up and see if you can see the sky.
    > TOMMY: Okay. (He returned a few minutes later) Yes, I saw the sky.
    > TEACHER: Did you see God?
    > TOMMY: No.
    > TEACHER: That's my point. We can't see God because he isn't there.
    >
    > He doesn't exist.

    Though the story is a bit silly, it makes an important point. Just because
    God isn't found in the place somebody looks for him, doesn't mean that he
    doesn't exist. It could just mean that the person is looking in the wrong
    place, or looking in an inappropriate way.

    This is of course a lesson to all the atheists who don't see any gaps in
    nature that require God and therefore conclude he doesn't exist. But it is
    also a lesson to Christians who insist that God must have left "fingerprints"
    of a specific nature in order to avoid the collapse of theism. They need to
    consider that cellular biochemistry or the Cambrian explosion might not be an
    appropriate place to look for God, and that to base apologetics on such gaps
    plays into the hands of those who share the flawed reasoning of Tommy's
    teacher.

    Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
    "Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
     attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"