Re: Ramm, Rimmer, etc

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 19:04:20 EST

    Michael wrote:

    << Have I gone neo-orthodox or am I plain orthodox? I would say that I am
     closer to Calvin's ideas of "accomodation" of scripture to the ways of
     thought of the rude and unlearned. >>

    The reformed theologian Charles Hodge, who was certainly the epitome of
    orthodoxy, accepted the fact that the firmament in Gen 1 is solid, and
    explained the fact that it was in Scripture by appealing to Calvin's idea of
    accommodation to the ways of thought of the rude and unlearned. (Syst Theol
    1, chp 10, pp. 569-70).

    Certainly this approach is more orthodox and biblical than upholding a view
    of biblical inerrancy so extreme that even the Bible has to be suppressed in
    order to support the extreme view.

    Paul